Saturday, 8 August 2009

The Bad Diabetic


To keep good control and in order to lower the possibility of developing diabetic complications, there is plenty of good advice about how you should live your life. Eat a healthy, balanced diet, low in fat and sugar, five types of fruit and vegetables a day, limited alcohol consumption, regular meals and exercise – the list seems endless, and sometimes devoid of pleasure! Just every now and then I feel the urge to rebel, sink a few beers, slob out in front of the TV instead of going out running, and eating all the ‘wrong’ things! In reality, I behave myself pretty much all the time, with just the odd ‘sin’, but I do wonder what it would be like to be a really Bad Diabetic!

Forgive me, for I have sinned,
And I’m being a bad diabetic!
All those low GI diets have gone in the bin,
And I’m not being very energetic!

I had breakfast of honey on toast,
Bacon butties that were dripping with fat,
And the bread was all white – yes, I know that’s not right,
But I don’t give a hoot about that!

For my lunch I had eggs that were fried,
And a panful of chips cooked in lard!
And I sprinkled on salt and I know it’s my fault
It will make all my arteries hard!

At my side I have biscuits and cake
Which I’ll eat in the course of the day,
And I fancy a beer (which I know I should fear!)
So tomorrow I’ll probably pay!

This suggestion of five veg and fruit
Is one I intend to ignore!
All that goodness should suit, that I wouldn’t dispute
But I fancy a chocolate bar more!

So, it’s pork pies this evening for me,
With a liberal dollop of sauce!
All that saturated fat – I won’t care about that,
I’m a bad diabetic – no remorse!

No comments:

Post a Comment