Wednesday, 26 August 2009

Great South Run - 59 days to go!

I’ve been experimenting with Photobucket, so I hope that you will be seeing a slideshow of the route of yesterday’s run! It was a hot and sunny day, although there was a strong breeze whipping across the water that did knock me a little off balance. I’m always very cautious when running along the riverside path – don’t want to go falling in! That happened to me once when I was a teenager – I fell in the River Calder up to my neck whilst out on a fishing trip with my friend. At the time it was one of the most polluted rivers in the country, so my biggest concern was did I swallow any of that poisonous filth? Never caught any fish there, although in theory you could just catch the dead ones floating on the surface. My friend would throw in a handful of groundbait and the hit the fish over the head as they came to feed! Sorry, I digress! The River Itchen is much cleaner than the Calder was, especially as you move upstream. Beyond the weir the water becomes much calmer and clearer as it is not affected at this point by the tidal processes that stir up the mud and murk further down.

I started off feeling quite good, but quickly started to feel the effects of the heat. I wasn’t sure if I should continue and run the whole distance I had planned – a loop of 4.5 miles and a repeat of my previous run, but thought I would carry on and give it a go. I’m not great in hot weather, and it can be confusing now I have diabetes, because you’re never sure whether the heat is making you feel bad or if your blood sugar levels are dropping low. My level was 8.9 mmol/l at the start, which is pretty much perfect for the length of run I had planned, but I did have the sensation that perhaps it was falling rather faster than normal. Heat can affect levels, as can just about everything else as far as diabetes is concerned – you really don’t appreciate just how much you have to take into account, looking backwards and forwards, what you ate, when you ate, how active you were or will be. The list at times seems to factor in so many possibilities that it ends up like some impenetrable mathematical theorem - Bolus = ∑((∂x+∂y)*√( Ωz-(4xy2/3rs)≤ п(∞3)) – or some such!

I don’t like to stop and walk, even for a moment. Once you stop then it can be very difficult to get going again and even if you do, you are more likely to want to stop again soon! So, I hung on for as long as I could. I still had to get home of course, so the only really change would be that I would be going at a slightly slower (i.e. walking) pace. I decided that I should cut the run short and head back for home. The problem wasn’t so much with my legs being tired, but that the bright sunshine was making me feel rather queasy, which in turn affects my breathing. I was hoping that, when I left the park and had to cross the road, the lights would be against me and force me to wait a few moments before continuing. This was ‘allowed’ and didn’t really count as ‘stopping’ as you can’t just run out in front of traffic! Thankfully, there was a steady stream of traffic that had to pass by before I could cross, so I got my much hoped for respite before the short climb uphill and then down the road to home.

Overall, a little disappointing to have curtailed the run, and also to have run at such an unimpressive pace, but a run nonetheless. There will always be days when things aren’t quite as you planned – hopefully not on race day! As it turned out, my blood sugar levels had fallen much more than normal, with a drop of 3.5 mmol/l. Normally, I would expect a fluctuation up or down of no more than 1.5 mmol/l, so clearly the heat had had an effect!


Tuesday August 25th, 2009
Distance
3.69 miles
Time
37’ 06”
Calories
417
Blood glucose before (1.5 hour)
8.9
Blood glucose after
5.4

1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying reading your experiences with exercise as it validates some of my experiences. Especially with the added aspect of heat and how it makes you queasy. It does the same to me. I find my BG falling much quicker in the heat too. Back to reading more!

    ReplyDelete