Monday, 17 August 2009

Great South Run – training diary, day 4


Goodness, it’s a fortnight since my last training run! Not the best kind of schedule, I have to admit. Unfortunately, I suffered a problem with my right calf muscle – no idea what caused it – and have been forced to rest it until fully recovered.

So, this morning I was pretty much back at square one. A fairly dull day, and calm, so no howling gales or blazing sunshine to contend with, but quite warm nonetheless and it got hotter the longer I ran. Initially I was thinking that I’d do a very short run just to get myself out of the door and back into some kind of training mentality. However, as I ran (slowly!), I felt I could complete my normal ‘short’ route of just under three miles around the park. As I entered the park there was a big guy a few hundred feet in front of my, dressed in football shirt and shorts. He was walking at first, but as I approached he broke into a heavy jog. I expected to catch him fairly quickly, as he looked to be labouring, but was surprised to realise that he was actually running about the same pace as me! How could this be? Surely, with all the effort I was putting in I was a sleek thoroughbred to his carthorse? It was only when he slowed to a walk that I was able to catch and pass him. After a short while I could hear his heavy footfalls behind me and glanced round to see him just a few yards behind. It appears that he had decided to use me as some kind of pacemaker perhaps to spur him on. After a short while he dropped back again and his footsteps faded, which I was glad about – I like my running to be a largely solitary affair and don’t really appreciate someone breathing down my neck.

After about a mile and a half as I started to make my turn for home, my legs started to feel very heavy, unsurprisingly as they were unaccustomed to the efforts they were being asked to produce. I had a little problem with the nauseous sensations I seem to experience since diagnosis when out running, but thankfully it wasn’t too intense and subsided. I have been working with my doctor to try and determine whether it is due to the medications I take, but sadly to no avail. Even cutting out all the medication didn’t stop the morning nauseous feelings, so I guess it’s something that I’ll just have to get used to. Since I doubt that I’m pregnant I can’t explain it!

Finally reached home a bit of a gasping wreck, but nevertheless pleased to have completed the full short course. Perhaps if I think of it as five kilometres then it will sound better! I recovered fairly quickly – heart rate down to ‘normal’ within a few minutes. These days that’s somewhere around 50 bpm – when I was really fit it was often below 40, so it will be a good measure of fitness if that comes down to anywhere near those former levels. I find that I don’t really have any anxiety about my heart, despite all the doctors last year trying to convince me that I’d had a heart attack (it turned out to be something called myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle caused by the virus that no doubt scuppered my pancreas).

I’ve decided that this year I will run to raise money for JDRF – the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. http://www.jdrf.org.uk/ who research primarily into finding better treatments and possible preventions or cures for Type 1 diabetes. Last year I ran for Diabetes UK, but have been a little disappointed with their organisation in recent months, so although I’m hardly a juvenile, I thought I’d direct my efforts to JDRF this year – that’s if I can persuade any of my generous friends to sponsor me yet again!

Monday August 17th, 2009
Distance
2.83 miles
Time
27’ 17”
Calories
319
Blood glucose before (1.5 hour)
8.6
Blood glucose after
7.6

No comments:

Post a Comment