Thursday, 17 September 2009

Great South Run – 37 days to go!


Just a brief update today! After Monday’s run, I thought it prudent to wait until I was feeling fully recovered before going out for another one. The last run wasn’t particularly long or strenuous, but it was the first one for a fortnight, and with my recent history and just over a month to go I don’t want any more mishaps!

This morning was bright and sunny, blue skies and a whisper of cool wind. As soon as I started the run I began to feel all sorts of little twinges, but tried to relax and let things gradually warm up. My impression was that my oxygen uptake has improved, as I wasn’t building up such an oxygen-debt on the first uphill part of the run, and I was able to breathe comfortably all the way round – no gasping for breath as would once have been the case. So, although I have missed some of my training, it thankfully does not seem to have affected my level of fitness. What is still apparent, however, is that I don’t have the same strength and endurance in my legs of former times, as they began to tire after about two miles. As I neared the end of the run I was also aware of a growing sensation of fatigue in my right calf where I had suffered the injury a couple of weeks ago, so I took things nice and gently as I approached home.

It was a beautiful morning, but the Sun is now getting that much lower in the sky and at points shining directly into my eyes. One of these days I’ll remember to wear a hat to shield my eyes! On the whole, a good run. My pace has increased slightly, which is good as it was not noticeable to me - I did not perceive that I was working harder. I do need to maintain a steady build-up, though, and not be tempted to do too much too quickly!

Thursday September17th, 2009
Distance
2.86 miles
Time
27’ 38”
Calories
337
Blood glucose before (1.5 hour)
10.0
Blood glucose after
8.1

No comments:

Post a Comment