Monday, 14 September 2009

Great South Run – 41 days to go!



Hurrah! Went out for my first run in two weeks this morning, after injuring my calf muscle last time out. I have been putting it off for a few days, still nervous that I could feel some soreness and worried that I might damage it all over again the instant I put it under stress.

For the first few hundred yards I felt very vulnerable. There was a slight soreness as the tendon stretched each time I pushed off, and I was running thorugh all the possible ways I might be able to shorten my route the moment I felt anything even remotely approaching pain. Gradually, I became more confident, although still maintaining a slow, steady pace, taking particular care on the steep downhill path that leads into the park. As I entered the park there was a young woman jogging towards me, so of course I had to increase my pace slightly so that a) she would be suitably impressed by my lithe, athletic physique, and b) so I could effect a quick getaway should her lust overtake her at the sight of my wonderful legs and she should leap upon me. I don’t actually think she noticed me, being more intent on her iPod music than my svelte form, so I was able to breathe a sigh of relief and slow my pace a little…

I decided to run the majority of my route in the opposite direction to normal, having calculated that there were more opportunities to cut the run short should anything unforeseen occur. Surprisingly, this appeared to be easier, and on consulting my GPS data after the run I discovered that there was less ‘climb’ in this direction – uphill: 82, downhill 222! Never quite sure if I can trust those figures – distance is one thing, but can the satellites really measure rise and fall of terrain so accurately?

With each step I was still wondering if I should try and attempt the whole of my ‘short’ route, but as each potential turning point came, I carried on feeling none the worse. Eventually, after leaving the park, I felt good enough to run the full length rather than cutting short by a quarter of a mile, which had been my original intention. Heart and lungs were good all the way through, but the legs felt constantly at risk from all the impact and jarring of the joints. Thankfully, the weather was cool and cloudy, so I didn’t suffer the feelings of nausea that often afflict me when the Sun is shining brightly into my eyes.

Hurrah again! Home safe and sound, but conscious that I have only 40 days remaining after today before the Great South Run. I’m also conscious that, however close the event, I mustn’t try and do too much – if I am able to run 7 or 8 miles by race day I will have no problems completing the course.

Monday September 14th, 2009
Distance
2.81 miles
Time
28’ 14”
Calories
333
Blood glucose before (1.5 hour)
9.0
Blood glucose after
8.0

1 comment:

  1. YAY! Well done!!! I'd love to do some running, but alas, I am so unfit in hurts

    Sam x

    ReplyDelete