Wednesday, 9 September 2009

I'm a nutcase!


I was at a bit of a loss when I was first diagnosed with diabetes. Not knowing a great deal about the condition, I thought it would be necessary to cut out all forms of snack. Heaven forfend that I should have to suck on celery or some other vile devil-food! Now I know a great deal more and know that these things aren’t taboo, but need to be carefully considered in conjunction with my blood glucose levels. Anything containing carbohydrate can raise levels – so that means that crisps, chocolate as well as seemingly healthy things like milk and fruit all need to be ‘covered’ with an appropriate dose of insulin. So, I can eat these things if I’m prepared to have extra injections, but that’s not something I really want to have to do – it’s enough just having an injection with every meal!

The hunt was on, therefore, for a snack that I could have any time that would have a minimal effect on my levels. And I discovered…dry-roasted peanuts! Tasty, and low in carbohydrate, low GI, and though fatty they contain the ‘good’ form of fat that is helpful to the body unlike the saturated and hydrogenated fats in processed foods. Moreover, they are full of protein which can help to suppress hunger pangs. I currently get through about 100 grams a day – the only thing I need to watch out for are the extra calories, as they are quite high, but as a fairly active person without a weight problem this isn’t really an issue for me. I can’t remember now the last time I ate crisps as a snack. I’ve found that I do have to avoid chocolate – one or two chunks may be OK without extra insulin, but once I get the ‘taste’ I find it hard to stop!

 
Lovely peanuts, they’re the tops!
Lords of all the nutty crops!
Roasted, salted, honey-glazed,
Stop my levels being raised!

Full of fat - the healthy kind,
The sort your body doesn’t mind!
Full of protein, which they say
Will keep the hunger pangs at bay!

Once I’d snack on sweets and cakes,
Lovely stuff the baker makes,
Now it’s nuts – they make more sense,
This side of the diabetic fence!

No comments:

Post a Comment