Wednesday, 28 October 2009

Great South Run – the Aftermath...


Well, after nearly three days my muscles, joints and feet have more or less returned to normal and I can finally walk up and down stairs without emitting involuntary groans! After every run I always have an eagerness to get back into training so that I can do better next time. I think it’s partly due to the sense of achievement and the feel-good hormones produced by the day that restores some of the jaded feelings that can sometimes start to get a grip, especially at this time of year. My plan is to go out for a short run tomorrow just to give my legs a stretch.

I had been nervous on the day that I might pull a muscle early on. This year, much like last year, I have been feeling strong but fragile, and it’s hard to relate to the earlier years of my running career when I was quite happy to stride out across the steep and uneven terrain of the Peak District at what would now seem to be prodigious speeds. I’ve certainly slowed down a lot since I broke my leg in 2004 (I was particularly slow that year!), and the recent health upsets of the diabetes and myocarditis have also had an effect. I’m not convinced yet that age has much to do with it. Interestingly, I am now back to my original weight that I was at in 2006, before it steadily started to decline due to the suspected slow onset of diabetes – completely unnoticed by me. I had noticed the weight loss, 30 pounds over two years, but couldn’t attribute it to anything.

Last year when I ran the GSR I weighted about 40 pounds less than I did this year. I was very lean, now I am somewhat flabby around my middle, whixh is something I wish to rectify. It’s also a lot of extra weight to be carrying around, and has a greater imact with each footfall on all my joints – not a good thing long term. This year during the run I was troubled quite early on by increasingly sore feet, with painful soles and my toes gradually going numb. Whether this is due to anything sinister to do with the diabetes I’m not yet sure – I certainly hope not. It might just be that I need to replace my running shoes because their cushioning has gone – sometimes we suspect things might be diabetes-related when the more obvious answer is staring us in the face. I will try new shoes tomorrow. One thing I was pleased about was that I got no blisters from the run. Blisters are a little scary as a diabetic, because of the dangers of infection. Even though my control is pretty good, when your blood sugars are less controlled than a non-diabetic person infections can persist longer and can have more serious consequences.

Overall, I was very happy with the run. I wished that I had managed more preparation so that I could have achieved what I believe I am capable of, but I turned up, did the job, and survived a 10 mile run off the back of a longest training run of 5 miles! Still waiting for the ‘action shots’ of the day, which I will put up when they arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment