Monday, 10 May 2010

Crocked!


I'm having a really frustrating time at the moment. About 10 days ago I fell, banging and twisting my knee, and have been unable to run since then. I even had problems walking for a couple of days, having to go back to using my old crutches from when I broke my femur! My knee still feels rather unstable, and a walk to the shops is about the best I can manage. The interesting thing is how much this enforced lack of activity has affected my blood glucose control. Previously, my waking/fasting levels were in the range of around 4.5-5.5 mmol/l, but for four days running they have been 7.0 mmol/l, which is at the upper end of my 'normal' range. Last night I increased my basal insulin by two units (which equates to a 25% increase), and this appears to have been successful as I woke to 5.2 mmol/l this morning. This is the first time since I was diagnosed nearly two years ago that I have had to increase my insulin - prior to this I have always had to decrease it, so it just goes to show what a profound effect exercise can have, and something else that makes diabetes management such a moveable feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment