Saturday, 10 July 2010

Back on Track


Starting back very much at square one with the running. It’s been a difficult year, starting off with very cold and treacherously icy weather, through a decent early spring, then injurt and the heat of summer. OK, that’s the excuses out of the way! I suppose I can blame the diabetes to some extent as well for removing the spontaneity from my running, but really it’s been largely a lack of motivation. My New Year challenge of 1000 miles and 1000 kilometres looks totally unfeasible at the moment, so I’m just going to do what I can and see where I stand at the end of the year.

So, despite the warnings of a very hot day, off I went this morning for my first real run in a couple of months! I wasn’t expecting to break any land speed records or astonish the watching crowds of park-goers with the brilliance of my athleticism, but just hoped that no-one would really pay much attention to the shambling, fat 50 year-old wheezing along the path…

Although the air temperature was warm, the Sun remained hidden, only starting to shine through the cloud cover as I neared the end of the run. That helped, as bright sunshine does sometimes make me feel a little nauseous which can affect my breathing. I felt slow much of the way round, but was pleasantly surprised to see my average pace at the end – bordering on jog/run pace, rather than amble/jog as I had expected. Just 2.5 miles in total in a little over 25 minutes, but it is early days yet and I need to build up some strength and stamina in my legs again. Not forgetting, of course, that I am currently carrying more weight than I am used to, and it’s not in a rucksack on my back so I can’t just leave it at home!

The park was quiet, generally, which was good as it made me feel less self-conscious which I always do when I’m not at peak fitness. There weren’t too many dogs, most of them were small, and all of them well-behaved, so no quick adrenaline bursts to set my heart racing beyond its limits! I was aware that, the further I ran out through the park, the further I would have to come back, but I pushed on, deciding to bear the consequences by perhaps doing a little walk/run on my return. As it turned out, I managed to keep going, although it did rather feel as though my legs were buckling from under me during the last half mile! The good thing was that my breathing was good, suggesting a good background cardiovascular fitness.

I recovered quite quickly, considering the heat, although thankful that I didn’t have to talk to anyone for five minutes or so whilst I stopped panting! I might try and get a battery for my heart rate monitor that goes with my Garmin Forerunner today, so I can see what’s happening to that. I used to have a resting heart rate of around 40 bpm at my fittest – it’s currently around 60 bpm, so it will be interesting to see if that comes down over the coming weeks.

Blood sugar was an unusually high 11.0 mmol/l (200 mg/dl) before the run, which was around 2 hours after breakfast – I’d normally expect around 8 mmol/l. On returning from the run it had come down to 7.5 mmol/l (135 mg/dl), so maybe it was good I started so high or I might have hypoed on the way back. Goodness knows what adjustments I might have to make to my meal bolus, and possibly basal insulin over the coming days and weeks! 332 calories expended, which must be at least a pound in weight – surely?!!!

5 comments:

  1. well done alan! Nice pics too! Looks like a nicer area of town than where I live!

    I want to start running over the next couple of weeks? Any tips? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam - get some good running shoes (essential!) then look for a good beginner's 5k training schedule. Usually starts with walking/jogging/walking then build it up to jogging/jogging then jogging/running! Above all, be patient and don't overdo it to start with or you might injure yourself. You have to build strength and stamina - include rest days and don't attempt to 'run through' bad twinges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO GLAD to hear you're back in the game! Do you carry any fast acting sugar on your runs? It sure sounds like the aftermath for you is a complicated mess. But at the same time, it does your blood sugars good by keeping 'em low for long periods of time.

    Sam, I whole heartedly agree with Northerner, don't attempt to run through bad twinges. common is shin splints and those suckers need to heal big time. expect aches and pains, but know they go away the more you train!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Scully, I carry about a dozen jelly babies with me (about 30g carbs). I find that, when fit, I can run 5-6 miles without it, then need 2 jelly babies a mile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! 12 jelly babies is 60g!

    ReplyDelete