Saturday, 25 September 2010

A month to go! Woof! What's that I can smell?

Well, the Great South Run will take place a month tomorrow so I really need to get myself in shape! This will be my third year of running the GSR with diabetes, and having run for the two big diabetes charities in the past two years (JDRF and Diabetes UK) I decided to run on behalf of a smaller charity this year. So, I have chosen the wonderful Cancer and Bio-detection Dogs UK, who train dogs to sniff out signs of a number of conditions, primarily cancer, hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) and Addison's crisis (a problem with the adrenal response system). These animals can be lifesavers in detecting early signd of cancer, or alerting people to potentially lif-threatening hypos - particularly in young children who may not be able to articulate how they feel - or people with poor hypo-awareness.

The charity are hoping to train 50 dogs over the next three years, so any money raised will be extremely welcome and put to excellent use! Please help if you can by clicking on the 'donate' button at the right of the screen or going to my just giving page.

No comments:

Post a Comment