Thursday, 12 May 2011

Diabetes Blog Week Day 4 – Ten things I hate about you, diabetes!


On the whole I’ve been pretty lucky with my diabetes. My levels are very good as a rule, HbA1c has been in the 5% club since about 6 months after diagnosis, and I was diagnosed late in life, aged 49, so I haven’t had to spend decades with it as yet (although I’m looking forward to my Joslin Medal and Alan Nabarro Medal for 50 years with diabetes when I reach 99…

So, not a lot to complain about, and I try not to, being fully aware of the struggles that others have in comparison to my relatively cushy ride. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t bother or upset me, or ruin my routines or plans, probably made worse by the fact that I had several decades of carefree spontaneity prior to diagnosis. There’s no escape, and sometimes that gets me down. I do try and bear in mind that things could be far worse though, and try and look on the bright side and inject a little humour (see what I did there? Groan!) with my poems, which I hope will lighten the burden for others from time to time.

So, 10 things? How about…

One, you never leave me,
Two, you’re always there,
Three, you’re so demanding,
Four, you never care,
Five, you’re so erratic,
Six, you’re timing’s bad,
Seven, sometimes dramatic,
Eight, you make me mad!
And if you haven’t worked out
What I’d pick for Nine and Ten,
Then please go back to Number One
And read the list again!

Just go! Vamos! And sling your hook!
For you’re not wanted here!
Vacate my life and let me be,
And let me drink my beer!

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to keep your poetic list around. That was really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice poem/list. And I covet your A1c.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the poem, it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your poems! They bring a smile to my face every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, Love, Love this :-) Thanks. Made me smile!

    ReplyDelete