Friday, 13 May 2011

Diabetes Blog Week Day 5 – Awesome things!


Who would have thought that something as life-changing and devastating as being diagnosed with a chronic, incurable disease could actually also produce changes for the good? Apart from the fact that it really made me sit up and take notice of my overall health and the way it was potentially heading, it also turned out to be an extremely rich source of inspiration for my poetry! Now, you may have noticed that my poems tend not to be the chest-beating, soul-searching and angst-ridden litanies of gloom and despair. I’ve tried that sort of stuff and I just can’t do it. No, I prefer to spot an absurdity or situation that can be given a humorous twist because I firmly believe that if you don’t laugh, you’ll cry.

So, if I was to pick one awesome thing that I have done because of diabetes, it is that I have become a published poet! Not in a big way, but in print nevertheless! There are so many things to write about, whether it is the shop assistant’s explanation of Low GI bread, the Guru explaining the Dangers of Left-Nostril Neglect, or the nurse who is disgusted at seeing people inject insulin in public! Pig Sushi, diabetics donating urine to make whisky in return for test strips, a spooky Halloween diagnosis, diabetic jam, diabetic tamagotchis, farts versus injections, if Disney did diabetes – you’ll find them all here and many more, and I’m sure there will be endless strange encounters with the world of diabetes rendered in verse form in the months and years to come – watch this space!

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading your poems every day, thank you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete