Sunday, 15 May 2011

Diabetes Blog Week Day 7 – What we’ve learned...


I have really enjoyed participating in Diabetes Blog Week 2011, and it's been wonderful reading everyone's contributions! Many thanks to Karen for organising it, and to Emma for reminding me it was about to happen! I hope people have enjoyed my poems, it's been really lovely to hear all your comments! So, what have I learned?

Basal, bolus, MDI, pancreas, pen and pump,
That lipohypertrophy is a way of saying ‘lump’,
A plethora of ‘-opathies’ affecting eyes and feet,
That there’s no carbs to talk about in any type of meat,
And macula, that’s vernacular for the bit that helps me see
The thirty one guage needle on the pen in front of me…
And how does all that glucose get in each and every cell,
And answering the question of just how does Lantus smell?
That cake is not forbidden, and some chocolate is OK,
Accepting there’s no cure as yet, and ‘it’ won’t go away,
But what I’ve learned beyond all this, a priceless thing for me,
Is I don’t need to feel alone – I have the D.O.C!

9 comments:

  1. Great poem Alan! Lovely to see you blogging again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it!! the last 2 lines are exactly how i feel too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem. I'll have to check out some of your other posts. I did a limerick on Thursday for one of the wildcards. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so nice to see you back and blogging again. I know we all have busy lives but I have missed all your creative poetry! (and running stories)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You gave me a big smile. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great poem! I've enjoyed reading your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the poem!! I always say there's a song for everything, and every song must have lyrics... Looking forward to reading more poems in the future!

    ReplyDelete